Homebrewing is incredibly fun and rewarding. We offer a range of products to help you get started and enjoy your very own creations!
All our kombucha, kefir and jun SCOBY’s have been fed with organic tea and organic sugar/honey for more than a decade!!
Our Kombucha scoby is 100% accredited organic.
All our scobies include free shipping throughout Australia.
Get a kombucha SCOBY starter kit today and start brewing your own kombucha!
You can make your own tea beverage at home, but first you need a Kombucha SCOBY, the unique culture that makes the delicious tea-based beverage that is filled with probiotics.
Every SCOBY for the starter kits is created by us using quality natural ingredients and professional methods. Brewed in Melbourne and Daylesford VIC with free shipping throughout Australia.
- What is a Kombucha SCOBY?
- How to Brew Your Own Kombucha
- What’s Included in the Kombucha SCOBY Brewing Starter Kit?
- Why Choose a Good Brew Kombucha SCOBY / Starter?
- Extend Your Brewing Kit
- Got More Questions About Your Brew?
- Free Shipping throughout Australia **
What is a Kombucha SCOBY?
A kombucha SCOBY (also known by some as the kombucha mother or mushroom) is used in the process of brewing kombucha tea. SCOBY is an acronym standing for symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast.
Kombucha is created by fermenting tea with sugar and the SCOBY. After enough time, you have delicious kombucha tea to enjoy. The longer you leave the kombucha unrefrigerated, the more it can ferment and change in flavour, which you can experiment with to find what suits your tastes. Placing your kombucha in the fridge puts it in a dormant state, where the cold will halt or slow the fermentation process.
This beverage also naturally becomes effervescent (fizzy) over time due to the fermentation process. You can reduce and slow the fizziness and fermentation by placing your brew in the fridge. Brewing your own booch can give you a living brew with a natural fizz, which is important for many people given that some brands of kombucha on the market aren’t properly fermented; some brands resort to using additives to create a fizzy sensation or kombucha-like taste.
If you’re feeling like brewing isn’t for you but you’re still keen to get your hands on some delicious kombucha, you can easily order Good Brew kombucha bottles online, available in a variety of lip-smacking flavours. Our booch is created in Daylesford VIC using filtered water, natural ingredients and quality methods. Every bottle of ours is bottle-conditioned, meaning the beverage has had time to properly ferment in the bottle.
How to Brew Your Own Kombucha
Brewing your own kombucha is easy. You can brew it at your home or workplace, as long as the temperature is appropriate and the brew container doesn’t get knocked over.
You will need the kombucha SCOBY, tea, sugar, water, an inert container, a fermentation cloth, a rubber band and a saucepan or similar to boil water. We supply all of these ingredients (minus the water and saucepan) in our Complete Homebrew Kombucha Kits.
For your first batch, use 1 litre of water, 5 grams (2 tsp) of green or oolong tea, along with 50 grams of raw sugar. You want to use 50 grams of sugar per litre of water.
The steps are as follows:
- Boil the water.
- Infuse the tea for 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea leaves or remove the tea bags.
- Add sugar to the hot tea and stir to dissolve.
- Let the tea cool to a lukewarm temperature (no higher than 35 degrees).
- Test the tea. Your culture will die if the tea is too hot.
- Open the kombucha vacuum pack and add its contents to the fermentation jar/container.
- Pour the cooled tea into the fermentation jar/container.
- Cover the jar/container with a fermentation cloth and the rubber band. Keep out fruit flies, dust, plant spores and other pollutants. The cloth must be porous enough for air to circulate.
If you have any questions about your brew, be sure to check out our FAQ. We regularly update our FAQ with new information about brewing kombucha. You can also contact us and we’ll be happy to help you.
What’s Included in the Kombucha SCOBY Brewing Starter Kit?
This starter kit includes:
- A kombucha SCOBY.
- Instructions (also downloadable as a PDF) on how to care for your SCOBY and how to make kombucha tea.
Why Choose a Good Brew Kombucha SCOBY / Starter?
- Australian made. Created at our Daylesford and Brunswick locations.
- Natural ingredients of a high quality are used in the creation of our SCOBYs.
- All SCOBYs come sealed in a plastic package to prevent leaks and damage during postage. If in the extremely rare and unlikely case your SCOBY package has leaked upon arrival / is damaged, then simply contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- Our starter kits include free shipping to anywhere in Australia.
- Healthy SCOBYs. We double check all of our kombucha and jun SCOBYs before sending them to you to ensure they are healthy and ready to start a delicious batch. From the beginning, we make sure to give our SCOBYs lots of love and the care that they deserve.
- Kits include printed instructions.
- If you have any questions about your brew, we’re available to help you with expert advice. Simply hit us up and our experienced brewers will be happy to advise you on what you can do to make an amazing fermented beverage.
- Over 13 years of experience creating amazing brews.
- The Good Brew Company aims to use environmentally friendly methods of production and services.
Extend Your Brewing Kit
We also offer breathable fermentation cloths which are great for covering your brews to ensure they can breathe and ferment properly while keeping out insects and other nasties.
For those looking for a great container to keep your brew in, we also offer glass fermenters with taps. The clear glass provides a great medium for storing your brew, allowing you to easily view how your brew is progressing and if it needs any attention. The taps are fantastic for easily pouring your delicious beverage when you need it. All glass fermenters include a breathable fermentation cloth.
If you’re keen to get everything you need in one go, we offer Complete Brewing Kits. These include the SCOBY, printed instructions, 100g organic raw sugar, 50g organic green tea, a fermentation cloth (plus rubber band to suit) and a glass fermenter with a tap.
If you’re in the Melbourne area, we also host kombucha brewing workshops at our warehouse in Brunswick VIC. Here you’ll learn how to effectively brew your own booch, plus get to try delicious fermented beverages and foods. Workshop tickets can be easily purchased via our website.
Got More Questions About Your Brew?
First off, thoroughly read the instructions included with your kit.
Make sure to check out our FAQ kombucha and jun brewing section too which contains more intricate information about creating a great batch of booch.
If you’re having trouble with your brew, have extra questions or need a reassuring pat on the back, then please get in touch with us.
Free Shipping throughout Australia **
All kombucha and jun starters include free shipping from Melbourne throughout Australia. This includes Tas, Vic, NSW, ACT, Qld, SA, NT and WA. Australia Post is used for shipping.
Please note that the starter kits do not include tracking as part of their free shipping.
We endeavour to provide quality customer service. If you have any questions about the starter kit or our range of products, please contact us.
* No GST is charged for kombucha SCOBY starter kits.
** You can pick up the SCOBY from our office at 54 Hope Street Brunswick VIC if you select Pickup during the cart / checkout process. We’re open 10am-6pm, Monday to Friday. Get in touch with us if you have any questions.
“Great-tasting kombucha. Friendly & helpful people. Best place to get supplies and info!”
– Robin M
Reviewed 5 Stars on Google. View the original review on Google.